Tuesday, November 3, 2009

[sidhack] My New Project

Not too long ago I came across this little piece of information. I found it to be pretty funny, Nelly Furtado ripped off some really old chiptune song. At the same time, I became interested in the MOS SID chip. I mean, it must be pretty cool if they use it in Dot It. I realized that these chips are very awesome, but very rare, which makes them even more awesome. In fact, these chips can only be found by taking apart old Commodore 64s.

To me Commodore 64s are living history. I remember Professor Decker talking about them once in embedded systems, it's interesting that my generation all but missed these early computers and now we take modern computers for granted. These early computers were incredibly limited, but people still managed to use them and do fun things with them, and that's what I want to experience with this project.

I've been looking for an excuse to start a serious electronics project. I just finished my undergraduate study, and I want to test out the skills I picked up. I want this to be a real engineering solution. Not an arduino wired to a breadboard which seems to be the popular way to do thing these days. I think it's more fun to do things from scratch anyway.

The other thing on my mind is music. I recently decided I want to learn how to make music. I like many types of music, but in particular I like electronic music. I like electronic music because of its close relation to electronics, my first hobby. So I'm going to do the obvious, make something to make noise!

No comments:

Post a Comment